Sunday, November 23, 2008

A New Attention Getter

O.K. I need some ear plugs and some suggestions on how to stop an unwanted behavior in a one year old. The past couple of days Peyton has started this screaming at the top of her lungs thing! It is driving us all crazy. She is not hurt or needing attention (maybe wanting some, but she often has our attention while/before screaming). She will just sit and look at you and an let out this very high pitched scream. What is up with that? My dad says she is just discovering her voice. Which I feel is very true, but I wish she would do it in a little nicer way. Last night in a restaurant she would scream over and over. To the point I took her to change her just to get out of the main eating area. Then my sister took her out while I payed and gathered up everything. My sister, Caitie, says she remembers Maddie doing the same type of screaming thing. I don't remember, I must have blocked it out because it was something I didn't want to remember. Any ideas on how to get her to stop? I have tried ignoring, whispering with a finger to my lips "shhhh", and talking to her in a quiet voice to show her what I mean when I say quiet. Maybe tape? JUST KIDDING! :)

5 comments:

Jax said...

dumb, but I would just ignore it. It'll pass. All of mine went through that phase and the first one we tried desperately to put an end to it. It seemed the more attention we gave it, the more fun it became for him. So when #2 came along, we just ignored it and it only lasted about a month or so. Number 3 went through it too and still sort of does it. Same thing. We ignored it. It's not always easy through because it usually startles us and we are pretty jumpy as it is. But they will outgrow it. I agree with your Dad too. I have always thought they just now discovered their voice and want to use it.

MacKender 4 said...

Thanks JAX!

Julia said...

you know, tape is not a bad idea. tee hee.

i think i blocked it on meaghan and lizzie too, because it seems that emily is horrid at doing this on a daily basis. and i have no recollection of the other two doing it at all!

good luck you guys.

herbert sargent said...

Hello Lindsey - Some advice from another generation. A flick of cold water from your fingers in the child's face will usually stop the screaming. It is a surprise thing. A spray from a bottle will do it also. One grandparent said they just put child clothes and all in a cold shower for a moment. When ask later if they wanted a cold shower that took care of it.
--Lovingly, Grams

Anonymous said...

I say scream back. :) I tried this while babysitting Peyton just to see what she would do...she looked shocked for a few seconds then she started screaming agian. But it made me feel better. haha! :) I love her!