Monday, August 24, 2009

The Japanese Gardens

We checked out the cultural pass at our library for the Portland Japanese Gardens. We have never been to the gardens before and it is one of the places we wanted to go to this Summer. They are really beautiful! It is 5 acres with beautiful trees, statues, rocks, little tea house buildings, bridges, streams, waterfalls and water features. There are neat pathways throughout the gardens that take you into a different little world. The gardens are very peaceful, yet kid friendly. When we arrived Maddie and Peyton were given children's maps of the garden and they went on a little scavenger hunt to find different features on their maps. If they found all of the items on the map then they received a prize in the end. Maddie found all of the items and earned a bookmark. I would love to go back during a different season. I'll bet the trees are colorful in the Fall and I have seen pictures of the cherry blossoms in the Spring. Looking forward to our next trip to the Japanese Gardens!


1 comment:

Julia said...

What a very pretty place! I wish that the climate here was garden friendly :)

I'll bet it was a nice relaxing trip.